mardi 31 décembre 2013

Happy New Year everyone! (and Blogging about Blogging)

So here I am again finally. Barely 2 hours into 2014 and I am writing here! That's a record considering I have not blogged in a few weeks.

I should be over at my sister-in-law's house celebrating with all the other 'young people'. Instead I am here at my in-laws place writing a blog post while the parents and Mémé get ready for bed. What am doing here and why am I writing?

I suddenly had a longing to write. Pure and simple. Who cares if nobody is reading and if everyone is out celebrating.

I just read Paris at my Feet's latest post: http://parisatmyfeet.blogspot.fr/2013/12/blogging-about-blogging.html

Her post, Blogging about Blogging, is exactly how I feel about blogging. I'm not in this to promote myself and I want this blog to be my place to write whenever I feel like it. Even if that means disappearing for a few weeks and coming back less than two hours into a new year. A few weeks ago a blogger I really liked suddenly stopped blogging, saying that the reason she was quitting blogging was because she felt she wasn't a good writer and that she felt too much pressure to blog. I've got to ask myself, why?

The answer is clear to me. Like Paris at my Feet said, there are more and more lifestyle blogs that read like advertisements and less 'assistants in France + years later' in France blogs. Like Paris at my Feet, I would love to be more personal in my writing, and goodness knows if any of my acquaintances ever found my blog they would know it was me, but for now if I want to keep sharing and keep this a semi-personal blog, I need to be semi-anonymous. I will never become a lifestyle blog. I want to be honest with myself and anybody who comes here wanting to know about life in France (or Paris for that matter).

I hope that other bloggers can find the inspiration to just be whatever they want to be and not follow social media pressure. Please just stop fighting the push towards having a 'perfect' blog and pleasing anyone and everyone that might just pass by your blog. Before I started blogging I thought it would be great to have a blog with many followers. Now I think the opposite. It's better to have a few followers that are true followers.

So to answer Paris at my Feet's question, blogging is definitely not dying but metamorphosing into something else. Yes, there are more and more lifestyle blogs, but there is definitely a group of us 'personal' bloggers that still exists and is strong. I'm glad to be part of that group!

Ok, I'm off to celebrate whatever is left of the night. Happy New Year to all my blogger readers and best of luck in 2014.

Here's a confession for you: I can't wait to dig my hand into those M&M peanuts. Yes, that's just how humanly weak I am. Oh, well!

Foie gras as far as the eye can see! Author of photo: Den Nation.

6 commentaires:

  1. Happy New Year!

    Oh, I understand the need to write... I'm here too!

    I like your blog because you are funny, genuine, and you are a good writer. So keep it up!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I totally agree with your post. I also prefer to be semi private and blog about what I want and not to be pressured. I enjoy reading your blog. And bonne année 2014.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Happy new year, Den Nation! Thank you for joining in the discussion - let's keep blogging and reading and commenting and keep our little group of personal blogs alive!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I absolutely agree - it is so lovely to know this little group is out there :) Happy New Year!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I so completely agree with this post. I've always loved the personal blog. It's been sad to watch several of the my favorite blogs either die out all together or change into lifestyle blogs. I've said it before but I believe blogs to be the best form of social media. I guess the best thing we can do is to keep blogging and to keep commenting on others blogs. I've recently tried to comment a lot more.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Wonderful blog post! I love that you remain true to yourself and to your readers. Keep doing what you are doing... your blog is a pleasure filled with your lovely sense of humor. I look forward to reading more in 2014.

    RépondreSupprimer